Old November 23rd 04, 07:19 PM
Steve Hill

I think most of the newer variometer systems can electronically calculate
total energy, without the need for any TE probe...I have tried this and
while I haven't met with great success in comparison to using an actual TE
probe on my DG-400, I would speculate that the Europa is not going to be
high enough performing to know the difference in the very minor differences
between a probe and what the vario system will electronically compensate. I
will say that when I tried the electronic setup in my DG, there was a gust
filter the previous owner had installed, which I didn't know about until
later...after removing that filter, my TE probe was much more accurate, but
my guess is that electronically I could have compensated the system fairly
accurately.

Steve.