Old March 22nd 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

Default Altimeter off

That is correct - there's no adjustment on the encoder.
Your encoder reports density altitude to ATC.
ATC computes an altitude correction factor for their own displays.
Some cockpit instrumentation computes the identical correction,
allowing the pilot to know what altitude ATC is displaying.

"kevmor" wrote in message oups.com...
There's no adjustments on the encoder? I can set the altimeter on the
ground to the airport elevation, so I know it should be really close
to the correct altitude, but then ATC may see my altitude as being a
hundred feet off... The encoder never needs to be recalibrated? It
just sees what is at the static input?

On Mar 20, 2:16 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
Not legal, you'll screw it up. Even an A&P is not allowed
to "adjust" instruments internally. You should take it to a
certified repair shop if it won't pass a IFR check. The
encoder is factory set at 1013.2 mb/29.92 and there are no
field serviceable adjustments.

If the static systems is wrong, the altimeter system and
airspeed will also likely be wrong.

"kevmor" wrote in message

ups.com...
| How can you adjust an altimeter if the pressure isn't
correct in the
| window for the altitude? I started talking to my examiner
about it on
| the checkride and he said that a lot of people adjust it
themselves
| (not an avionics shop, etc), and he said you take the
front off (I
| think) and theres a screw to adjust it? The plane would
be used for
| VFR only...
|
| Is there an adjustment that can be made to the encoder as
well if it's