Old April 3rd 05, 07:04 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Dude" wrote:

"jsmith" wrote in message
Don't waste your money on a DME. Too much maintenance.
Purchase a good used IFR GPS.

What he said!

I am presently looking to replace my RNAV/DME with a new GPS. By the time
you buy and install a used DME system you will be getting pretty close to a
used IFR GPS.

What he said, squared. About the only thing I can think of that you can do
with a DME that you can't with a terminal-certified GPS is use it to fly an
ILS-DME (because you don't have the location of the ILS DME ground station
in the GPS database). Unless you have some very specific reason to need
DME for one of the very few things GPS can't replace it for, I think it
would be foolish to invest in DME these days.