Old April 9th 04, 08:53 PM
Newps

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:

So, my question becomes, at what point do you abort the attempt to go
visual and transition to an IFR approach.

When you are over the airport and can't see it.

Say, you have a GPS and ATC
cleared you down to 2000 ft AGL and you are 10 miles from the airport.
Do you continue at that altitude to the airport until you are right on
top of it (controller permitting), notice that you are still not out of
the clouds, and then ask for an IFR approach at that point?

Yes.

Just trying
to see how the transition from "going for visual" to "err, no can
do...need an instrument" happens. Does the controller force the
decision at some distance out?

He may if there is other traffic. If you are the only one and therefore
aren't causing delays for anybody I'll drive you right to the airport,
if you call it in sight then you can have the visual, if not you'll do
an instrument approach.