Old January 29th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default O-360 sticking valve update

nrp wrote:
: Some Lycomings (earlier ones?) have different rocker arms for the
: intake and exhaust valves. I assume you observed that (or they were
: identical?)

Oil squirter holes on the exhaust rockers.

: Does this fade-off happen with only cold (cool) oil?

As in my previous pose (almost 2 weeks ago initially), it seems to only do it
on the first takeoff of the day. Oil's off the peg, but not warmed up as in flight.

: Anyone ever heard of Lycoming lifters pumping up?

It took us awhile to realize that's what it was. Every other time I've put
them on, I had the lifters out, cleaned, and drained as well. This time we didn't
take the tubes out and had to compress the valve spring a bit to get the rod in. After
sitting for a minute or so, you could then move the rod with your fingers. It wasn't
just on one jug either (and yes, we were on TDC to make sure the cam was in the right
place).

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *