Old January 29th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default O-360 sticking valve update

wrote in message

In general I'm skeptical of MMO and other snakeoil treatments. Seems like
more than circumstantial evidence for a lot of aviation folk on this one,
though.
Between that, the increased CHT warmup, and the cleanout of gunk on the
guides, it
wouldn't surprise me if the problem doesn't come back... for awhile.

FWIW...

I used to work down the hall from the "fuels and lubricants" department at
one of the larger auto companies. One of the guys had two file cabinets -
one had a sign that said "good stuff" along with a collection of name brand
oils. The other cabinet had a sign that was _significantly_ less
complementary and a collection of most of the well known oil additives,
including the red stuff.

YMMV and all that, but when you consider the long running thread on cam
lubrication problems, I'm not sure it makes sense to add a lot of stoddard
solvent to your oil...

Oh, and I'm not stating any offical company policy or opinion. Read the
owners manual for official recommendations.

And on the other, other hand, I find it quite amusing how people will go on
and on about how using a light bulb from NAPA will cause your airplane to be
unairworthy and void your insurance. But add some snake oil to your engine?
Sure! No problem!

See also:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20020916X01610&key=1

--