Old June 4th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default VFR "picking his way thru" heavy cells with XM Radio weather

On Jun 4, 10:10 am, Jay Honeck wrote:
The more I fly, the more I believe that the body of pilots that regularly do
things that most will consider "stupid pilot tricks" is larger than what
many people think. The odds are that this guy will get away with this
multiple times before he gets bit. Of course there's also a small chance
that he may never get bit hard enough to scare or kill himself.

While what you say is true, it really depends on the type of
thunderstorms Peter is describing. (And I don't mean to imply that
his observations were inaccurate in any way.)

In the SW summer TS's are frequent but usually easily
circumnavigatable VFR. I would never attempt to try IFR in that type
of weather, if you get in IMC you're probably going into a TS. VFR is
the way to go.