Old October 24th 10, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Don Poitras

Default Transponder Landing System

I found this note (june 2007) related to the Watertown installation:

---
Well, I just happened to go to RYV to eat dinner at Steakfire tonight,
and Jeff Baum (Pres. of Wisconsin Aviation) happened to be working
late. Unfortunately, he said that the TLS was taken down about a month ago.

He said that the plate was available from Wisconsin Aviation. He also
said the FAA didn't like the TLS because it wasn't their idea, and for
a time actually tried to prohibit people from flying it even VFR! This
particular installation was paid for by the Wisconsin Department of
Aeronautics.

The other neat thing about it was that it had a curved final approach
path, which you can do when the "localizer" isn't just a radio beam.

Oh well... Another good idea bites the dust.
---

The approach is listing in the AIM, but the only other airport I could
find in the US that had it was in Idaho and they took it down as well
after they couldn't find a "sponser".

John Clear wrote:
In article ,
VOR-DME wrote:

So my question - does this type of approach really exist, other than on
Wikipedia? Can someone point me to an approach plate that says "TLS" on the
top? What would lead a purportedly expert consultant to recommend this type
of approach for installation in a New England airport today?

I checked the rec.aviation archives, since the topic has come up here
before, and every airport mentioned in the various threads doesn't
have any approaches with "TLS" in the title now. The airports
mentioned (Minden,NV; Watertown, WI; Madras, OR) all have GPS and/or
VOD/DME approaches now. In other searches, Subic Bay and Santa
Cruz, Brazil have come up as having TLS approaches, but I can't
find any plates online for those airports.

TLS is an interesting technical solution to the need for non-straight
instrument approaches without needing new equipment on the plane,
but it seems GPS approaches have replaced TLS approaches since most
planes flying IFR have GPS these days.

As for why an 'expert' would recomend a TLS approach over a GPS
approach, I wonder what the exports connection to ANPC is?

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

--