Old November 8th 17, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Train Wreck

John C., I have no issue with TATs, I have issue with 98% TATs as is common is US Rules competition (up until this year at 15m nationals, still amazed). This misconception about my Task preferences is getting old. I like a 50/50 AT/TAT ratio. I don’t like flying the same task type again and again. TATs are fine (even very fun) and make sense when the weather is somewhat unpredictable. Even I try to avoid certain or the high likelihood of land outs in my practice task planning and I fly TATs (20 mile radius max) all the time at home (when it makes sense under an FAI mindset). What I really dislike (at Nationals) are MATs because they are a “roulette table” and of no value to FAI competition. See Bruce Taylor’s 10mph crushing of us at Uvalde this summer.

#USrulesarefailed
#matsblow