Old September 9th 03, 06:22 AM
Snowbird

Steve P wrote in message ink.net...

I'm not saying "need" as in required by FAR/AIM, but I consider it good
practice to add an extra layer of safety.

How does it add an extra layer of safety to report downwind,
when you weren't asked to? (I'm not trying to be snarky, I'd
like to know how you see it)

I guess if you're flying into
an airport without any traffic it doesn't matter

Well, as you point out, one is never *sure* one is flying into
an airport without any traffic. There could always be the guy
who reported in from further out, just before you changed
frequency, or the guy in a fast jet ATC just handed over.

So as an extra element of caution, I report to ATC so I'm on their
mental radar to avoid turning base in front of a slow plane that was
cleared for landing on a long straight in that I'm not aware of. Like I
said, at an airport where there isn't any traffic it's not an issue.
When I enter downwind, I'm often number 2 if not number 4 to land.

If you're number 4 to land with aircraft waiting to take off,
the frequency may be fairly busy (and the controller perhaps working
other freqs you're not aware of or coordinating with approach).

How does it help safety for you to make additional, unrequested
radio reports? Seems to me you may well block a radio transmission
which needs to be made. I can see more than one side of the "safety"
issue. If an extra report when entering downwind is good, and
increases safety, what about reporting each leg of the pattern?

What would you do if the freq were so busy you couldn't really
get a word in edgewise while approaching downwind? Would you
proceed, or what would you do?

then there is always the guy on ground who wants to take off before you
land. If you remind ATC where are, it may allow that additional plane
to get off the ground and most pilots departing the field appreciate not
having to wait for a plane on downwind.

I don't understand this at all. If there's space for ATC to clear
the aircraft for takeoff after you remind ATC that you're on downwind,
isn't there space if you don't remind ATC where you are? Either they
see you and know perfectly well where you are, or, if they've forgotten
about you they're gonna think there's space anyway.

Cheers,
Sydney