Old October 24th 05, 11:00 PM
John

Default Damaged aircraft - should I pay?

A plane is just like any other investment. Although if I owned one, I
think it would be my most beloved material possession and would work
hard to protect it.

But, you often have to decide . . . getting the family to higher ground
or protecting the property. Then you get to decide which piece of
property . . . the house that everyone lives in . . . or the plane . .
.. or the boat . . . or . . . (whatever). Sometimes the
family/property question is in the form of an "either or" question,
not both.

If you fly out, how do you get back to take care of the family?
Airlines will typically cancel service 24 or more hours before the
storm's arrival. The dead time of driving back from any appreciable
distance is critical time wasted.

Finally, you never can be sure if by moving you are not going from bad
to worse. I have friends in South Florida who didn't leave when
Andrew approached. They could go North or South (though not too far).
When I asked (in quite colorful language) why they didn't bug out,
they replied there was uncertainty where exactly the storm would
strike, forecast information was confusing, and they didn't know
until it was too late which way to run. Even with days of warning, a
lot of what you have to do is very last minute.

Finally it has always been about all of us paying for choices that
other pilots make. I would much rather help pay for this type of
settlement, then for the pilot who ran out of gas on a clear day
because he or she decided to stretch things too far.