Old July 8th 03, 08:51 AM
Lawrence Dillard

"The Enlightenment" wrote in message
om...
(ArtKramr) wrote in message

Subject: Not Particularly Impressed with Tuskegee Airmen Propaganda.
From: "The Enlightenment"

Date: 7/6/03 7:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time

I guess you are lucky if you are judged on merit.

.

Not particularly impressed with the Tuskeegee aimren? Be assured that

they are
not particularly impressed with you.

Not Particularly Impressed with Tuskegee Airmen Propaganda

Frankly, I wouldn't characterize the hubbub over the TA as "propaganda". It
is merely the accurate recounting of the hardships that a group of loyal
citizens had to endure in order to secure the privilege of serving their
nation in a time of war.

Now that there has been so much social change in the US, some youngsters
find it difficult to understand the situation of the TA, or the social
conditions extant in the US at the time. Times change, if there is
sufficient impetus to cause that to happen. The creation and success of the
Tuskegee Airmen was part of an impetus toward social change in the US.

By all accounts I have read, the men generally did well; they upheld the
best traditions of US fighting men once committed to action. That, in many
quarters, had not been expected.

According to a couple of sources I've read, the TA were prized because as an
article of faith, they provided close escort to the bomber formations to
which they were assigned, to the detriment of rolling up victory totals by
avidly pursuing enemy fighters which approached the bombers.

You may have read Mr Kramer's remarks on this ng as to how much the bomber
crewmen (who after all, were the only USAAF component which could actually
do significant harm to the enemy war effort) appreciated having close escort
support. The TA considered that their essential mission was to get the
bombers through to the target and away, without them having to suffer from
enemy fighter depredations. This they accomplished. Insofar as the bomber
crews whose missions they supported were concerned, their success in so
doing was all that mattered, and the color of their skin was irrelevant;
THAT in itself was a victory for the TA, because THAT was "being judged on
merit". That's what they were trying to demonstrate.