Old April 13th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Circle to Land @ KRBG

Thanks for your comments, let me amend the original post.

The conditions that brought this up we

1500' ovc, 5 miles, wind 160 @ 15 gusting to 20 Rainshowers & Terrain all
quadrants.

The aircraft was a 90 series King Air on a GPS-B approach

Seattle Center on the #1 comm, and lost comm due to terrain below 3000msl.

Unicom on the #2 comm, and listening to VFR traffic from 4 airports while
above 2500', and 2 airports(Roseburg & Felt) when below 2500msl.

To cancel IFR, it is either by phone on the ground, or by RCO to FSS.
Obviously no radar.

The King air broke out about 2 south of the airport, with a touch and go
C-172(with a bad radio), & an RV6 in left traffic for 16.

The King air driver said he was unable to cancel, and felt obligated to
comply with the published procedure.
He also said that due to rainshowers, he was unable to keep the traffic in
sight.

Class "E" airspace starts at 700' AGL over the airport & conditions were
VFR.

Jim Mackin said: "There are no instrument approaches in Class G" and for the
most part I agree. In this case you are in class E until below 700' agl.
However, even there you are still operating under IFR. You do not need to
maintain the required VFR cloud clearance, and you may operate at less than
3 miles. At the same time, you are mixing with VFR traffic.

Steven P. McNicoll said "See and avoid them.", and I wholeheartedly agree,
with the caveat, "if you can".

Al CFIAMI

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Al wrote:

At our home field, KRBG, Roseburg, Oregon, we use left traffic for both
ends of our RWY 34-16. The approach procedures cite "Circling east of the
rwy 34-16 centerline not authorized". What do I do when I break out, and
have to "circle west of the centerline for RWY 16", while VFR traffic is
flying the normal left traffic(east of centerline) for RWY16?

Al

If the weather is VFR you are well-advised to take this into consideration
at an uncontrolled airport. If feasible you should stop descent at
pattern altitude and join the established VFR traffic pattern.

If the weather is below VFR then you are *required* to adhere to the IAP's
requirements as to circle-to-land.