Old February 3rd 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

Default A Pilot Gives Thanks

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:23:27 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote in
:

WILLARD NICKISCH, PILOT: I've got an autopilot that won.t release and
it wants to pull me down into a dive.

Ummm... If I were Willard, I'd have pulled the autopilot circuit
breaker. Strange no one thought of that.

I thought the same thing when I was listening to the tape on NPR this
morning.

Sounds more like a runaway trim. The AP Disconnect switch should behave just
like pulling the circuit breaker.

Here's a very similar case which was a runaway trim.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...24X01192&key=1