Old July 5th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

Default SAFE Winch Launching

On Jul 5, 5:30*pm, Del C wrote:
At 18:17 05 July 2009, johngalloway wrote:

Seems to be a non sequitor *considering that Derek was advocating US not

UK engines for winches.

Well I would, but most UK cars do not have huge gas guzzling V8 engines
that are big and powerful enough to power a winch, due to our
Government's excessiveand historical taxation of road vehicle fuels.
Possibly V12 Jaguar or Rolls Royce engines would do. if you can find them
cheaply enough second hand. If you want a new engine, then the GM Marine
engines, as used by Skylaunch, are as good and cheap as anything.

Derek Copeland

P.S. Lucas made their initial fortune by selling reversing lights for
Italian tanks in WW2. They worked perfectly!

My understanding is that Lucas, Prince of Darkness, was also
responsible for the invention of intermittent windshield wipers.

I couldn't resist.............

Chip F. - who loves a good winch launch.