Old July 5th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan[_1_]

Default Garmin GpsMap 396 - Flight Test

By the way, this was with firmware version 2.8 which is what came on
the unit. I am planning to upgrade to 3.2 soon.

--Dan

Dan wrote:
I picked up a 396 on Friday and it was fine all the way from Phoenix to
Santa Fe, but lost it's sat signal during landing in Chandler....
Strange, but it seems I am not alone.

--Dan

wrote:
Mike Spera wrote:
30 seconds after take off, lost
the GPS sat lock. Took about 15 seconds to regain it. In the next 5
minutes, it lost lock several more times. I'm thinking, external antenna
is loopy.

Mike,

For what its worth...

I just flew my Arrow around the country and experienced the same
problem (with my brand spank'n new 396) that you described. Most of the
occurrences were in the takeoff or landing phase of the flight. I had
my old Lowrance airmap 100 on the copilot yoke and it never lost lock
once during the flight. The 396 was connected to the remote antenna
which was sitting on the glare shield, the airmap 100 was using it's
built in antenna.

-Bernie

My fly-about http://www.iperformax.com/flyabout/flyabout.html