Old September 30th 04, 04:57 AM
Marc Ramsey

tango4 wrote:
Better still get your competitions committee to accept the trace from a
garmin or other COTS units as secondary or even primary proof. There are
places in the world where you DON'T have to use IGC loggers for comp flying
and the scoring still works right.

The odd part is that COTS GPS units have been perfectly legal for years
in US Regional and National contests, with the exception of those flying
for points to get on the US National Team (and using a COTS GPS as
backup for the occasional equipment failure likely won't jeopardize
those points). A Garmin Geko 201 records 10000 track points, at a 2
second recording interval it can handle a 5 1/2 hour task. I've seen
them for as little as $95US. Guess what I use for a backup 8^)

Marc