Old August 10th 03, 11:45 PM
B2431

Folks - When I bought my Tcraft, all that existed of the static port
was a length of rubber tubing running parallel to the ram air port
(which was there). Do I need to terminate that piece of hose in a
static port of a precision size? - Mike

The only requirements for a static port is the hole(s) be flush to the aircraft
such that there is no air forced in or sucked out by the local airflow in
flight. You don't want the hole too small or you will get lag when changing
altitude. You may not ever notice the lag, but it's there. You don't want it
too big or critters my think you built them a home.

The static ports on big aircraft such as C-130s have a salt shaker appearance
and have half a dozen or so holes around .032". Helicopters like the H-1 and
H-60 don't have static ports. They leave the static holes on the ASI, VVI and
altimiter open to cockpit pressure.

Aircraft Spruce sells a single hole port.

You want a smooth surface within a few inches of the port.

That's as complicated as they get

Good luck with your project.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired