Old August 3rd 13, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Clear

Default Cheaper tows?

In article ,
bumper wrote:

And finally, the CNG tank slung under the belly is composite. Given that
composite tanks don't handle impacts well, I cannot imagine having a
worse thing along for the ride in an off-field forced landing or
accident. 3,600 psi of CNG in a composite tank? If it goes, so will
anything nearby . . . no need for an ignition source.

IMO, a really dumb idea . . . at least in this example.

It really sounds like this example is just a proof of concept.
Simplest way to add the CNG tank is on the CG, and under the belly
is the only available spot. If the testing doesn't work, just
change the plumbing back to the wing tanks and remove the belly
tank.

Interesting idea, but I think even with a fully engineered solution
the weight of the tanks will be an issue.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/