Old December 9th 03, 05:29 AM
Rick Durden

John,

I did a review of the Gippsland Airvan for Aviation Consumer a couple
of years ago. In general, it is designed to compete with the Cessna
206/207, primarily in the third world. It has an O-540 Lycoming
engine derated to 275 hp due to noise requirements by reducing rpm
from the normal 300 hp setting at 2,700 rpm. It can seat 8 people
although there is the usual fuel/pax tradeoff. The c.g. is about as
long as that of a Cessna 206. It is slower than a 206, yet I liked it
because the crew and pax seating was more comfortable, there is a
sliding door that can be opened in flight for phototgraphy or
skydiving or what have you (the door on the 206 has to be removed
before flight) the nose does not block forward visibility in a climb
or when flying at loitering power settings and the cabin floor is
flat. It also sits level on the ground. It is essentailly a next
generation Cessna 207. Hanlding is satisfactory for an air barge,
quicker than that slug, the Cherokee 6, but not as quick as the Cessna
206. Flight deck is nicer than a 206, with doors for each crew
member.

I found that I liked it a great deal and if faced with a choice of 206
versus Airvan, I would probably lean toward the Airvan if cruise speed
were not a concern.

You may be able to get a copy of the review at the Aviation Consumer
website.

All the best,
Rick

(John Pelchat) wrote in message . com...
I was watching Discovery Wings when I saw a spot about the CAP
celebrating it's anniversary and I saw a scene with an Airvan in CAP
colors (lots of bright red and blue). I have seen nothing in the
aviation publications about this aircraft. Does anyone here know
anything about it beyond what is on the Airvan-USA website regarding
costs, handling and attributes of the plane?

Thank you in advance.

John Pelchat