Old July 11th 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default TCO for small aircraft

On Jul 11, 11:21*am, Bob Moore wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote

Disregarding the actual cost of buying your own airplane, what's the
total cost of ownership for a small single-engine aircraft, like a
Bonanza? Exclude fuel and consumables.

Our older (1959) Cessna 172 works out as follows:
Tiedown..Outside $150/mo...Shade Hangar $250/mo...Hangar $500/mo and up.
Insurance...$750/yr. Annual Inspection....Avg about $800/yr.
Total....about $3000/year.

Also, if you have a figure for cost per flight hour, I'd be interested
in that as well.

It burns around 8 gals/hr @ $4.50/gal plus a Qt of oil every now and then
for a total of $35-$40/hour.

At 100 hours/year, that ammounts to about $6000-$7000 per year plus
unexpected repairs.

Bob Moore

Bob, your out of pocket numbers are fine, but it's also realistic to
include a reserve for engine replacement and a few dollars added to
the hourly rate for other repairs if you want a realistic estimate for
the cost of flying. Or, when the Hobbs goes from 1999 to 2001 hours it
will be a VERY expensive hour! And some things just don't last or wear
out. we put something in the mental piggy bank for those kinds of
things too.

For what it's worth, I fly the Mooney at low RPMs and oversquare as
allowed in the POH so my flight hours do not accumulate 60 minutes
each against the engine life. The current engine, being treated
gently, looks like it'll easily get to 2000 hours.