Old July 12th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default TCO for small aircraft

"a" wrote in message

Bob, your out of pocket numbers are fine, but it's also realistic to
include a reserve for engine replacement and a few dollars added to
the hourly rate for other repairs if you want a realistic estimate for
the cost of flying. Or, when the Hobbs goes from 1999 to 2001 hours it
will be a VERY expensive hour! And some things just don't last or wear
out. we put something in the mental piggy bank for those kinds of
things too.

My engine has 360 hours on it. What are the odds that I will still own it
1,140 hours from now? I don't try to figure a "reserve" for an overhaul I
may never do. I prefer the "pay as you go" model.

Our older (1959) Cessna 172 works out as follows:
Tiedown..Outside $150/mo...Shade Hangar $250/mo...Hangar $500/mo and up.
Insurance...$750/yr. Annual Inspection....Avg about $800/yr.
Total....about $3000/year.

My insurance is about twice that (experimental taildragger), but my hanger
is about half. Previous owner paid less than $100 per month for an open
front hangar on a small grass strip.

As far as "opportunity cost" goes - what is the "inopportunity cost" of
being stuck playing video games?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com