Old August 18th 05, 01:43 AM
JJS

"DL" wrote in message nk.net...
Long time ago ('82). As best I can remember, slightly unusual EGT readings and maybe a slight roughness
(Continental O-470). The next time I was directly over an airport I reduced power and did a mag check (at 9000
feet). One mag was dead. I switched back to both and announced that we would be landing at that airport, where the
spring got replaced.

Another time, after a fuel stop, in doing the runup, one mag was dead. That turned out to be a defectively
manufactured Bendix capacitor (terminal crimped over insulation) that had worked for almost a year. Later, that
day in talking with my daughter (who was 10, then, and had been riding in the right front seat on the previous
leg), she mentioned that she had noticed some slight roughness in the flight leg that preceded the failed mag
check. I agreed with her. Apparently, it had not not been pronounced enough to lead me to do another one of those
"enroute" mag checks.

"JJS" jschneider@remove socks cebridge.net wrote in message

May I ask how you detected a broken impulse coupler spring in flight, DL? I might learn something here.

Thanks, DL. I ordered a copy of "The Magneto Book" from Sacramento Sky Ranch and should be getting it any time now.
Hopefully it will help me with some of my questions about magnetos and impulse couplers. I didn't realize a broken
impulse spring coupler would disable the mag. Obviously, I've never seen one apart. BTW the A&P IA pulled mine
after I asked him too. He found nothing amiss. All tolerances were acceptable and there was no gunk or corrosion.
He lubricated it and reinstalled it. The Cherokee is back in my hangar waiting on me to reinstall the interior. The
annual is complete except for that and the paperwork.