Old April 4th 15, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z Goudie[_2_]

Default Sustainer/turbo gliders

At 16:29 04 April 2015, David Salmon wrote:

Bought a Discus Turbo 7/8 years ago. Never regretted it. You do get mor
out of it, certainly at a winch only site. No need for ear protection, i
fact if there was someone else with you, you could hold a conversation
Never failed to start except by pilot error (don't ask). You do have t
make earlier decisions to start the engine, than for a genuine fiel
landing. We get about 2.5 kts average climb, and I haven't noticed bein
left behind in thermals by pure gliders.

Echo Dave's comments. Solo 2350 with 5 blade fan never (never say never)
fails to start readily (apart from finger trouble, again don't ask)
providing you prime the fuel system to get any air out before launching.

Even if you don't need an engine run to climb away after launching, give it
a test run for 30 seconds before setting out into the wild blue yonder (if
you forget that you'll find your sphincter muscles tightening if you get
low later) and occasionally practice a close in circuit with the engine
out/blades extended (when it does come down quickly).

Drill out the exhaust restrictors and put bigger jets in the carbs and
you'll get 3.5 kts with a Discus in still air.
You'll need ear defenders for a longish climb then though.