Old April 5th 18, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Filip Bojanowski

Default Ventus 2 compared to Discus besides the obvious

Den onsdag den 4. april 2018 kl. 18.38.52 UTC+2 skrev :
Sorry I threw the D2 in there, my error. Also I should have specified, Ventus 2b. As I am only 5' 9" in height the V2a would be ok but with a wide chest it would be tight, V2b more suitable.
I am leaning toward buying a V2b.
I am asking about the flight characteristics of a Discus as a comparator to that of the V2b outside of flap use. Does the V2b have a&& biting habits.

Dino

Having flown both V1/2 and D1/2 I would really recommend the V2 if price permits (if choice is between D1 and V2). V2 is miles better than a D1 performance-wise and in pretty much every other area.

But as with most flapped ships, you need to fly fast when cruising to get the most out of it. Otherwise just get the D2, at best l/d there is practically no difference between D2 and V2.

Talking V2b specifically you should be careful during landing as the airbrake handle is quite close to the flap handle. There is a risk of freeing the flap when adjusting the airbrakes, resulting in flaps going to full negative causing a quite heavy landing.

I would suggest gripping the airbrake with a grip from above. This is only an issue in the V2b or V2c, as the V2a has airbrake in a different position where it is a non-problem.

Flight-wise the V2 flies easily, is easy to launch and land. The V2 ironed out the handling issues with the V1.

If you can get a newer model with an X go for that. The X fuselage is the newer discus2-derived fuselage, has new tail-section, tailplane and winglets.. A lot of "old" v2a owners got their tails replaced at the SH factory to the newer model.

If you have competition aspirations get the V2ax. But if you are looking for the best possible thermal handling for 15m/std a LS6 or LS8 beats any SH glider by a mile. The 2-3% edge that D2/V2 has is not worth it money-wise unless you are in it for competitions (in my opinion).

PS. assembly tip for any SH glider: Pull the airbrake handle and check if there is a hole in the airbrake guiding rod. The assembly pin (used for the tail etc.) should fit nicely there, blocking the airbrake from closing completely so you dont have to fight the over-centering mechanism when putting on the wings.