Old February 3rd 13, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Good SPOT advice

On Monday, January 28, 2013 8:43:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Springford wrote:
I recently read in a Canadian Aviation Newsletter that Search and Rescue strongly recommend that you put a statement in your SPOT SOS message that the unit is in an aircraft, as this will immediately trigger air search and rescue instead of a local response when the SOS message is triggered.

They suggested something like:

This SPOT unit is in an aircraft (give registration and type).

Something to consider...

Dave,

I agree, and I might suggest the SOS message also include basic medical information. Mine says "White male, 6' 3" 200lbs, age 63. Excellent general health, no known allergies". This information will be passed to the first-responder team, and might be extremely useful if you are unconscious or otherwise unable to respond.

TA