Old January 18th 18, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

Default More 3's?

On 18/01/2018 05:14, wrote:

Maybe I am just biased being a South African - but I am thinking the Germans have some catching up to do in the next few years. The JS-3 is going to be unbeatable in 15m and 18m Classes - and the JS-1c will still be very competitive in the Open Class in any competition. This advantage will be even greater where wingloading is a factor (strong days) and especially where it's weight that's limited, and not wingloading (like the Sailplane GrandPrix).

I am also a biased South African :-). With 3 declared 1250km FAI
triangles logged on OLC in 2018, the JS3 is clearly very competitive.
But the most remarkable thing that the Jonker's achieved is the time
line for the progress from concept - prototype - competition results
- production - certification. In terms of competitive flying, I think
the Jonkers have the advantage for a while (unless the IGC reinvents the
rules).

But in terms of the market, a lot will depend on engine packages, all of
the manufacturers have a lot of work to do, with both self launchers and
sustainers. I have seen both S-H and Schleicher "self launchers" opting
to take aerotows this season (for heat, maintenance or serviceability
reasons) as well as outlandings from self launchers and sustainers. The
FES's got grounded due to battery fires :-( The only package that seems
to be delivering consistently reliably seems to be the DG's, but they do
not feature in the competitions. And the engine packages are ALL high
maintenance!

Ian