Old February 11th 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Duo NV lands on Heavenly Ski Resort. Not kidding...

Matt,

You are absolutely correct - I misunderstood your position. What you said
below makes it perfectly clear.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Dan

"matt michael" wrote in message
You partially misunderstand me Dan. I'm not suggesting that we soar
because it's cool. I'm saying that we need to foster a culture that
makes it cool to be "professional" in our conduct as soaring pilots,
cool to be a team player in our approach to safety.

Obviously, you already approach airmanship in a professional way and
by example have a positive influence on the culture of safety. You are
already a part of the solution. It is true that the many pilots in
our sport operate safely and also true that they can do so without
formal safety programs. But you have to understand that not everyone
has the backround, training, and respect for airmanship that you do.
This is true of some CFIGs too! If good safe soaring pilots like
yourself go around saying "we don't need no stinking safety programs"
the pilots and would-be pilots that don't understand and respect
airmanship, the ones that really need recurrent training and ongoing
supervision wont sign up for it. They don't have to and if the expert
pilots they respect don't bother with it why should they? That's what
I mean about "cool". We have to make it cool to and participate in
safety related programs in soaring so that all soaring pilots will be
motivated to join the team.

Good airmanship starts with the individual and must be a personal
commitment but until we are all on the same team we don't have a
chance of reducing our accident rates. The ones to look out for are
the ones who refuse to join the team, regardless of their backround,
knowledge, and experience.

Matt Michael

On Feb 10, 8:34 am, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
But... We are *not* professionals. Some of us, myself included, are or
have been professionals and have attended and participated in all of the
safety programs which you mention. All of these programs have a positive
impact on safety, mainly with the threat of loss of livelihood. You don't
play, we don't pay.

I fly gliders not because it's COOL - I do it because I love it and, since
also love living, I operate my glider in a safe manner. I suspect the
majority of us fly and operate for the same or similar reasons.

For the same reason as stated above, I also wear a DOT approved helmet
when
I ride my motorcycle. It is not required where I live but I do it for MY
SAFETY! I've worn seat belts in my cars since the 60s, not because it's
required, but because it improves my safety.

Please don't misconstrue that I say to mean that I'm against safety (as I
know a certain individual will do), I am very much for safety. We can
operate our aircraft safely without formal safety programs. Our CFIGs can
arm us with the information we need to make rational judgments and they
can
get all of the latest information and techniques from those programs
required by the FAA to maintain their certification. Those who want to fly
because it's "cool" are the ones to look out for...