Old June 29th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Zodiac XL vs Rans S-19 vs Van's RV-12

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

I may have overlooked a few, but if one were looking for a kit that:

1) is light sport compliant,
2) is low wing,
3) uses tricycle gear,
4) is of metal construction,
5) built using primarily pop type rivets,
6) and has a bubble canopy,

then up until relatively recently, the Zenith Zodiac XL [1] appeared
to me to be the only choice. But the Rans Aircraft S-19 [2] kit has
become available. And Van's Aircraft is developing the RV-12 [3]. (I'm
not sure that the Sport Aircraft Works SportCruiser[4] is available as
a kit, or what type of rivets are used, otherwise I'd have included
them.)

As far as I can tell, the laws of physics, legal requirements, and
consumer preferences seems to have lead three of the longer lasting
homebuilt kit plane companies to design relatively comparable planes
(as these things go).

Are there any other kit aircraft that I overlooked that match those 6
points?

[1] http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/index.html
[2] http://www.rans.com/3S19.htm
[3] http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-12int.htm
[4] http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/sportcruiser.html

www.sonexltd.com the fastest and cheapest choice.. cockpit is a bit
smaller though.

Of your above list, the it is also only 1 of 2 that is available right
now as a kit and is a proven airplane. ... The RV 12, MAYBE a year, the
rans only has computer drawings on it's website; the sportcruiser, while
I believe it is a very affordable sLSA, also has only one instance
existing as far as I can tell, and has not announced any kit plans yet.

So, your down to the same choice I had to make, Sonex (~125 flying)or
Zodiac(a whole bunch flying) or wait quite awile for the RV-12. I chose
Sonex because it was faster and cheaper, but I dont mind the smaller
cockpit.

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams