Old May 9th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Spot or InReach ??

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:01:16 AM UTC-5, John Carlyle wrote:
Kirk,

I'm willing to pay for devices that work properly. My Spot dropped many points, and I see the same behavior on Spot traces from other pilots. Relying on Spot would seem be be like relying on an OnStar type system that only transmits every 3rd word.

Given that performance, your remark that Spot plans are cheaper than those from InReach is like noting you can get a lower price on oats that have already been through the horse.

-John, Q3

I'm curious which Spot you were using. I've been using my Spot Gen 1 since they first came out and it has worked fine for me so far; if there are any delays in displaying points it hasn't bothered my wife or affected any retrieves. So as they say, YMMV - I'm satisfied with the service I get.

And truth in advertising - my Spot renewal came out to be around $195, so not a lot cheaper.

It's nice that we have options.

Kirk