Old January 24th 04, 06:24 PM
WaltBJ

This parsing of the snap-shot situation concluding a half second
advantage in fire weight - even a full second - is rather disingenuous
in that a skilled pilot will see the possibility of a snap shot
developing and be already firing before the non-tracked target passes
through the zone of fire. I well remember that gun camera film of
Korean War F86 pilot Major Pete Fernandez' ninety degree shot on a MiG
15 - he was firing before the MiG entered the pcture - hits plastered
the MiG and it went out of the frame smoking badly. IN WW2 one of the
'experten' jumped Sailor Malan - Malan broke into his attacker and
hosed him on a quartering head-on shot. The attacker was wounded badly
and had to break for home. His name doesn't come to me at the moment.
I maintain the M61 can hold its own in any situation. Situation
awareness is the key. Without that the impulsive squeeze of the
trigger as an aircraft passes swiftly in front of you is generally
futile as the rounds will pass behind him.
Walt BJ