Old November 9th 17, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default Train Wreck

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 2:10:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Someone wrote this to me:

"Gina,
7T's behavior at Benalla is not what is in question here. I am sure you realize this but you have decided, For whatever reason, to blur an important distinction."

If you are going to personally address me, it is common courtesy that you sign your posts.

If you read my two posts at RAS, you'll see that they are corrections of another poster's incorrect assumptions or statements. Mr Christner had quoted a portion of the US Team Code of Conduct and had asked John Cochrane if he could "certify that [7T] has met all of these requirements". Because John Cochrane was not in attendance at the Benalla WGC, I myself assured Mr Christner that Sean Fidler's behavior at the WGC was exemplary (as was the conduct of all the other Team Members).

Subsequently, Mr Christner quoted the same portion of the US Team Code of Conduct and opined that pilots are required to adhere to the Code "at ALL times, not just during a competition." I then corrected that mistaken assumption by quoting the relevant portions of the US Team Code of Conduct -- the Code is specific to WGC competitions and is not meant to be a requirement, 24-7, for all competition pilots who might possibly be future US Team Members.

It was important to make these corrections to Mr Christner's mistaken assumptions, because he was using them to support his call for a "permanent ban from future competition" for one of USA's top competition pilots.

It's always a good idea to correct mistaken assumptions or statements, especially when they are the argumentative basis for actions with very serious consequences, don't you agree, Mr or Ms Somebody?

Gina

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 4:16:37 AM UTC+13, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 3:19:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:

So, I would appreciate it if you refrained from further ill-advised and erroneous public "guesses" regarding 7T's behavior as a USA Team member, .......
Gina

Gina,
7T's behavior at Benalla is not what is in question here. I am sure you realize this but you have decided, For whatever reason, to blur an important distinction. From what I am able to gather from the SSA website is that 7T was in fact offered a spot on the US team but declined. 7T's FB and personal web page do not make mention of this (Granted, I didn't dig too deep on either page). So which is it? Good ol boyz and cronyism or did the selection committee see the potential in his flying and offer a spot on the team.
Granted, I am not a fan of the hair pulling that goes on here (RAS), But one good thing that can come out of this thread is a discussion of the US Team decision to move off of a merit based system and the logic behind the current team member selections.

Gina, (if this really is Gina?), You and I have chatted over the years. You have even helped me at contest's and we have shared dinners chatting. Since Sean wishes honesty, I share the below as it's a direct copy of a post to Seans FB page by another. Why does the poster state what you share differently?

Sean Fidler Soaring
October 31 at 8:38am ·
From an unnamed friend this AM.
“What fools. So a guy (Sean Fidler) wins his second competition day at
a World Championships (totally unheard of) in the 18m class (with a
teammate who refused to team fly and with virtually no team support,
wife had to communicate) and is skipped over in the selection that
SAME year for the next world championships for an insider (Good old
boy pet) who was way behind in the their countries own international
rankings (which use different rules). What’s the problem? That sounds
completely justifiable. Nothing to see here. Move along. Extended
laughter...Jesus F Christ...f€%k that and F$&k them...you have been
right all along Sean...”
Well said I think.
Next statement...”you know the test on this is to ask yourself, if the
situation was reversed, would you have been picked?”
Next statement...”that’s borderline criminal...”
Thanks everyone but the decision is final.

Sean even states "The decision is final". So, Gina, the above poster does state their were problems which you never saw. So, by what "others" are seeing/reading, they are simply giving their comments/views. Honest communication, by all parties, could end this. But this train wreck has had earlier derailments, which have never been corrected. In most, if not all sports, this is seen/experienced.

Thanks Gina, Best. Tom #711.