Old September 2nd 05, 10:37 AM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-09-01, Larry Dighera wrote:
Given the fact that the F-16s had to fire flairs to get the pilot's
attention, I would have to agree with you. I'm wondering why he
didn't he tune to 121.5 MHz per intercept procedures. Did the CFI
brief those procedures?

You know, last time I was in the US (just a couple of weeks ago) I did
quite a lot of cross country flying. I listened to 121.5. On our trip
from SLC to Idaho, I heard calls from Cowboy approach call two separate
aircraft that busted a charted and hot piece of restricted airspace.

Then on my way from Snyder, TX. to Houston, I passed a few miles to the
south of the massive TFR around Bush's ranch. I knew it was hot because
I had checked the NOTAMs just before departing Snyder. I heard two
pilots bust that one too, being called on 121.5.

None of these pilots actually replied or changed heading. I was half
tempted to key the mike and tell the military controller, "You know, the
kind of pilot who busts a huge charted restricted area is probably not
the kind of pilot who listens to 121.5"... there was just no excuse with
these two restricted areas, both were prominently charted and well
known.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net