Old September 14th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Some airplanes use electric motors to move the flaps, some
use engine driven hydraulic pumps. Some use hand cranks and
some use a lever.

Most light aircraft use either a mechanical human powered
lever or crank or electric motors that will run on the
battery. Heavier airplanes, over 12,000 pounds often use
hydraulics. Sometimes the hydraulic pumps are electric
powered, but engine driven pumps are common.

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
| Peter Duniho writes:
|
| I lower the flaps for the preflight inspection so that I
| can properly inspect the flap mechanisms, but then
retract them after engine
| start and before taxiing.
|
| Doesn't flap movement require engine power?
|
| IMHO, since you're not actually flying an airplane, I
wouldn't worry about
| it. Put the flaps down whenever you want.
|
| The idea is to try to approach real life. Additionally,
many things
| are simulated. If adjusting flaps has a bad effect in
real life,
| there's a good chance that it has a bad effect in
simulation as well.