Old July 14th 05, 02:35 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

I own a Cessna 150, which I have had for several years. This year my
annual ..

'65 C172F, recently sold. Paying $200 a month for hanger was the final
straw. 4R7 ($400 for the hanger, split 2 ways)...

Spark plugs cleaned and gapped

Replaced fine wire with massive electrode from those fine folks out on
the left coast...

Valve cover gaskets replaced on three cylinders

Same here, but all six cylinders, new valve covers as well. Cured the
majority of the oil leaks. Replacing o-rings on the dipstick, tightning
all the cylinders and replacing all the crush rings - fixed all the
others...

Compressions of 74,76,74,76 (not bad for a 1100 hour engine).

3400+ hours, 900+ since topped with chrome cylinders, readings about the
same, 2 higher, 2 lower, all above 70...

Nose gear torque tube link retightened
Shimmy damper cleaned and serviced.

Replaced the little henge piece behind the nose strut (cracked in 2
places), 2.3 AMU's is what cessna wants, did it for $300 through a
salvage firm. 5 sets of strut seals before they finally got one that
didn't leak down in a few days time. Added some shims in the strut as
well. Replaced a tire with a bald spot at the same time, used tire from
the same salvage people, plus new tube ($35)...

Nose rim also had spun bearings, replaced the rim and the bearings.
Forget what the AMU's were on a rim, $100 or so through salvage. Keep in
mind that all of this was repaired/replaced less than 2 months after
prior owner's annual and we took ownership of it and at our expense...

Wheel bearings cleaned and repacked

Replaced both brake discs, one had actually rusted through in a few
places, both worn to minimums. New brake pads, new chrome discs ($100
ea.). Steel was cheaper, stainless was more expensive...

Total cost $800. This is the only maintenance I've needed this year.

Annual inspection labor was under $300, we did most of the work
ourselves, did all of the annual dissasembly and reassembly...

Shopping planes again. Would like an amphib, 4 seats preferred...