Old November 5th 07, 01:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Chezelwig

Default SO WHAT DID YOUR PARENTS DO IN THE BIG WAR

On 2007-11-05 05:49:51 -0600, "HEMI-Powered" said:

SHIVER ME TIMBERS added these comments in the current discussion
du jour ...

Well after watching the Ken Burns series THE WAR ad naseum ad
naseum, I thought I'd come into the group today with one of my
curious questions.

What did your parents, family, etc. do in the big WWII.

Mine worked at the Canada Car foundry in what was then called
Fort William, Ontario.

They were inspectors helping to make Hawker Hurricanes and
later other types of figthers including the Curtis Helldiver.

How about your folks.....

If you recognize my handle, and my name, Jerry Rivers, then you
know my father fought on Saipan and Tinian, and is pictured in Joe
Rosenthal's follow-on group "gung ho" photograph after the 2nd flag
raising on Mt. Suribachi. I shan't repost my pictures as
(apparently) it annoys some folks around here.

My father was Supply Officer for the 73rd FS (Bar Flies). In 1944 he
became Supply Officer for the group (318th FG - yes, he ordered the
paint for the -real- "2 Big and Too Heavy").

My mother was a Public Health Nurse in Springfield, IL.

One of his brothers flew cargo aircraft (C-46s in North Africa). He
would "drop by" England to datethe lady who became my aunt, who was a
Londener.

His other brother was a civilian engineer reparing submarines.

His father worked at Western Electric, in Cicero, IL.

My mother's parents worked in Hanford, Oregon - my grandfather was a
Carpenter and my grandmother a House Mother. They were native to
Springfield, IL.