View Single Post
Old November 24th 15, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Is FLARM helpful?

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 5:26:50 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
I think the reason that gliders for sale are not Flarm equipped is that their owners rather keep the Flarm and move it to their new ships, since once you fly with one you will never want to fly without it.

Ramy (With handful of Flarm saves in over 1000 hours with Flarm)

Agree 100% with Ramy. I had a portable PF in my Discus 2b, and when I sold it in early 2012, I kept the PF for my new LAK....As far as close calls, many of the folks that fly at Moriarty have had PowerFlarms since 2011 and I do believe it has been a major enhancement to safety. It has personally alerted me on several occasions over the past 5 seasons to gliders coming head on at high speed especially under cloudstreets. These alerts allowed me to alter my course and avoid any potential conflict. This past season we had an incident where two gliders came within 20-30 feet from each other and they never saw each other until the very last second. One glider had a PF and one did not....The pilot who did not have a PF went out and bought a PF immediately...

Finally, I do fly with a transponder and a PF as do many other folks at Moriarty. The use of transponders is also extremely important in our area as there is a fair amount of jet traffic passing over the area as they descend into Albuquerque. Albuquerque approach is very aware of gliders at Moriarty using 1202 on their transponders. When they "see" us they do try to route the airlines away from us and/or try to keep them above 18K as they pass west bound over the Moriarty area. Once past Moriarty they then allow them to descend into Albuquerque....This does really help minimize potential conflicts. Now, be safe out there! Thx - Renny