Old November 25th 15, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Default Is FLARM helpful?

I consider PowerFlarm to be a great asset in the cockpit. I have had a couple of warnings that may have made a difference. In one, I was thermalling with another glider when the warning went off. I was tempted to ignore it because I had "eyes on target" and I am sure the other pilot was watching me. A quick glance at the Flarm display indicated that the alarm was for someone in my low five o'clock position. Sure enough, a glance over my shoulder showed that another glider had joined us at speed and with a pullup into the circle. I was startled, but not freaked out- because I had the warning. If he hadn't had Flarm, it would have been much more disconcerting. I wish everybody had 'em, but I am not going to make a big deal out of it. I consider it one more source of insurance, just like my transponder, and yes, my glasses.