Old February 27th 05, 02:19 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:03:27 -0000, "karel"
wrote:

not wanting to peck on vocabulary
but just for the sake of clearness:
-) by "white bead foam" do you mean
expanded polystyrene, the isolating
stuff used to pack fridges, TV sets &C?

yes that is the stuff. you will sometimes find usable volumes in the
bigger pieces that you can cut into useful bits. buying a block from a
manufacturer can yield bigger sections and in the stuff I obtain in
Australia the expander gas seems less obnoxious in the block foam than
in the shipping padding.

-) which derivative do you mean by "petrol"?
car fuel?

unleaded car fuel.
that is probably the cheapest. Acetone, MEK are more expensive and
will work as well.

lamp petrol?
no that is usually a kerosene which may work but I havent tried it.

Thanks for the inspiration, I'll give it a try!
All the more as I need a battery box
for my brand new van!

Could you point out a website
explaining glassing so as not to destroy the mould?

I dont know any offhand.
basically if you destroy the mould you lay up outside the mould piece.
if you want a permanent mould you layup inside the mould.
mould releases are usually some sort of wax.
alfoil will work as well as a release.

for mouldless construction Mike Arnold's tapes are quite good.
his is the AR5 record setting aircraft website.
Stealth Pilot
it is important to keep grease and water out of the resin.

KA