Old May 15th 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Default Reducing collision hazard at contests

On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 1:53:48 PM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
I don't know about changing things to spread people out, but some work has been done on how to penalize pilots whose flying meets criteria that could be defined as risky.

IGC has looked at WGC's with an interesting study based on IGC files from the 31st-34th WGC (includes Uvalde). It appears feasible to automate penalties in scoring software. Look at the thorough study published in 2017 at https://www.fai.org/sites/default/fi...ision_risk.pdf . Figure 28 shows what can be done. Take a look at the stats in Fig 28 - for one day!

They suggest going to 1 sec interval for recorders - that could be done now to help with data gathering.

It is an interesting read (to me anyhow).

Dan, great resource & a very interesting read.

Page 35 of the report has a graph of example penalties by competitor. Cross checking that with the contest results shows that the leaders would have had very few penalties. It also reveals there are several pilots that are best avoided. Even without penalties, showing these statistics at the beginning of each day's pilot's meeting might influence pilot behavior.

https://www.soaringspot.com/en_gb/31...10-07-17/total

Thanks,
Craig