Old February 4th 18, 04:26 PM
RickH RickH is offline
Junior Member

Location: St. Louis, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan St. Cloud View Post
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:11:39 AM UTC-8, Gerry Simpson wrote:
New glider on the way. Would like objective opinions from pilots who have flown with both ClearNav and LXNav and spent enough time to make an honest, educated evaluation. Let me preface this with the information that I have flown with ClearNav since being an early adopter. Both appear to have advantages. Are there enough with LXVav (9000, 9070, 9050) to warrant going through the learning curve for a new system?

Wonder if anyone using a LX Navigation computer care to comment?
I flew the CN I computer and pointer vario for several years and liked it. However it was slow and prone to lockups. I loved the crawling amoeba indications of glide range and the recommended turn arc in a TP area. The remote stick was very efficient and allowed full independence of operation. I can only imagine that a faster and more stable computer would make the system only better. For my first flight computer I thought it was very intuitive and just what I needed. When I ordered my JS1C I struggled with the avionics selection but finally decided upon the LX 9070, V8, and AIR Glide S varios. The 9070 and the ability to customize just about everything is very handy. Screen is bright with great resolution. Individual Nav pages for Tasks, Airports, Waypoints, allow you to have access to all the information you could want without the clutter of a single page source. Defining a task is easy and quick but I still like the recommended TP turn display and crawling amoeba of the CN better. I do like the LX voice alarms. They can be a little annoying at times but you can cancel them very easily if you’re tired of hearing about airspace issues while you thermal at the edge of a control zone. I like the functionality of the CN remote stick controller better than the LX remote stick controller as you still find yourself turning knobs and fiddling with the computer controls during flight. I also like the fact that I have an artificial horizon (3 in my setup) for those really hazy late afternoon returns into the sun! I have thousands of hours of familiarity with FMS’s from my day job, but still found the LX to have a slower learning curve than the CN. The CN was practically plug-and-play while the LX is a work in progress for me. I’ve only flown it for half of a season, but for the long-haul, I think the LX provides a more robust solution. The support seems very responsive as well. If you like avionics- the LX is the way to go, if you like to look out of the window and relax for OLC flights, the CN may be your better choice. Just my 2-cents.

Rick H
NR