Old August 12th 04, 01:31 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Cummiskey" wrote in message

commenting on that to Jim, he now has (I hope) learned the proper
procedure (which he obviously did not know prior).

IS this the proper procedure? Pilots tend to resolve things definitively
on this forum by quoting the FAR, AIM, or other appropriate authority.
In the absence of such explicit guidance, we can only offer opinion
backed by informed logic and experience. So, let me restate: Where
does it unequivocally state that being on the extended center line is a
requirement for a "straight-in" VFR approach?

You'll find it in the Pilot/Controller Glossary, which is an addendum to the
Aeronautical Information Manual and FAA Orders 7110.10 Flight Services and
7110.65 Air Traffic Control.

STRAIGHT-IN APPROACH VFR- Entry into the traffic pattern by interception of
the extended runway centerline (final approach course) without executing any
other portion of the traffic pattern.

If so, please define "on the extended center line" for me.

What is there that you feel needs defining?

How close is close enough? 10 ft? 100 ft? 1/4 mile?
30 degrees at 20 miles?

How silly do you want to get?

Perhaps some of the folks on this forum can just fly much more
precisely than I do g.

Perhaps.

Indeed, that is why I believe in the IFR domain, the definition of
"straight-in" includes the 30 degrees. This provides for a
REASONABLE definition of "straight-in" that clearly should
be sufficient for VFR applications.

Different operation, different definition.

STRAIGHT-IN LANDING- A landing made on a runway aligned within 30° of the
final approach course following completion of an instrument approach.

The Pilot/Controller Glossary was created to promote a common understanding
of the terms used in the Air Traffic Control system. You should understand
and be familiar with all terms that may be used in any operation you might
engage in.