Old October 30th 14, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

Default Inertial vario

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 02:55:40 UTC, waremark wrote:
What's special about this vario? Better than other modern varios?

Mostly because it's pretty much just a vario...

It means that I'm not going to have to memorise a manual, or wonder what 4 differently shaped and coloured symbols mean I didn't want another Flarm display or more navigation stuff to program. I don't want 4 buttons and two rotary knobs to play with when I'm flying. I want it to beep telling me what the air is doing, not what it thinks I should be doing... Ie, I'm a bit of a luddite when I'm flying!

My primary excuse was for the instantaneous wind. I really struggled with circling wind calculations flying in Omarama. Part of that is that you aren't turning enough and part is a bug in XCSoar which makes wind calculation unreliable when it's very windy. With the Vaulter the wind will update constantly regardless of how I'm flying. This should help with ridges and a bit with wave. If it hadn't been for that I would probably have just bought a Borgelt B400. (I may still to replace the mechanical)

The A/H functionality is more an emergency sanity thing rather than a primary buying reason. I had a lenticular form around me last season, it wasn't a problem but it happened so fast and literally out of the blue! It will be nice knowing I have something more than blind luck for that 1 in a 100 random occurrence!

Mel