Old September 14th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Mxsmanic wrote:
Peter Duniho writes:

I lower the flaps for the preflight inspection so that I
can properly inspect the flap mechanisms, but then retract them after engine
start and before taxiing.

Doesn't flap movement require engine power?

Depends on the aircraft. Some planes they are purely mechanical from
the flap handle in the cockpit. In others they are electric. On my
plane they are hydraulic, which is run from the engine if it is running
but has a backup "wobble pump" which I can use to retract them on the
ground if I forget to do so before shutdown.

My plane specs flaps up or 1/2 for takeoff (short field takeoff done
with 1/2). Landing can be done with any setting of flaps.