Old July 12th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew B

Default Another Curious Question for the Group

"shiver" wrote in message
So I'm watching TV last night.

They are showing a scale model of a high rise building that was being
tested for it's ability to withstand wind.

Then they show an engine from a Lancaster being fired up to produce the
wind.

On a stand, complete with Lanc nacelle, and contra rotating props.

So my kinda curious question.

How many of you know of aviation engines out there that are being used
for oddball type jobs.

For example anyone know the history of some of the jet engines used to
dry off the NASCAR type racetracks when they are a little wet.

Or perhaps the jets used in those semis that roar down the runways at
airshows.

This sort of thing.

I remember sometime ago, probably the early 80's, preparing an auction where
there were a number of engines taken from the forward fuselages of I think
either Fairy Firefly or Boulton Paul Balliol aircraft and were loaded onto
transporters. We were told that they were being sent to Canada for use in
some form of power boats.
--
Andrew

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
(Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.)