Old November 19th 03, 12:35 PM

My humble opinion, coming from a background of hundreds of hours of playing
PC combat sims, is that Mr Art "in 1943 I flew a simulator" Kramer (mmm....a
clue to his cranky disposition perhaps?) is mostly right in a rude,
blustery, obnoxious sort of way.

However, when I was fortunate enough to be able to afford to charter a
Hawker Hunter out of Thunder City, Cape Town, South Africa, I was very at
home on the stick and was immediately capable of basic flight manouvres, it
took only seconds to get over the initial tendency to make 'too big'
movements. That's because I got a serious fright when I yanked on the stick,
the Hunter is as agile as a cat!. The pilot only took over for the seriously
rough aerobatics (and of course take off and landing). So, unrealistic as
they may be and although they will never make me a pilot, PC flight sims
teach you more than you may think or are willing to admit.

Whilst on the subject, I am having a debate on the subject of whether planes
like the BF109 and FW190 were really as unstable and prone to stalls and
spins at the drop of a hat as modelled in the PC sim IL2 Sturmovik,
Forgotten Battles. I am taking a Kramer view (but more politely because
they're my friends) and saying that the air war would never have been won if
planes of that era could barely fly. Does anyone know of real
stories/reports on this issue or maybe know someone of Art's vintage who
flew them? I have already read of a Mustang pilot who says the sim feels
about right if the 'stalls and spins' setting is turned off.

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

"Bjørnar Bolsøy" wrote in message

I was wondering if anyone in this NG play simulators?
If so, which one? What's the best out there, currently.

Regards...

I put "flight sim" in "Newsgroup Subscriptions" and got 13 hits. You will
probably get more play there.

Tex