Old March 12th 21, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tales Of The Bloody Triangle

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 7:43:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 12:08:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Mr Greenwell,
I am with you. However, TCSC doesn't really have a queue problem with the tow plane, which in itself is a bit of a problem. We either have no one flying or everyone is out there chomping at the bit. But even then the towplane availability always seems to be a good situation. The only time the self launch will benefit me at this club will be if no one is around to haul my fat bird in the air. My goal is the be there often enough that both situations arise and I'm proficient in both. I didn't buy an airplane to let it sit. I know that's a typical statement. I'll be darned if it sits.

I guess I'm a wimp to a degree, too, though. I am green to gliders, and I want to launch as early as possible and extract every last foot I can get -- even if it means standing still and not going anywhere. So if I get pulled up to altitude too early and there's nothing the SkySight refresh and motor over to the good stuff. If I get high enough to soar home: awesome.. If not: so be it and I'll motor high enough to glide home. I won't be missing opportunities to soar if I can help it. My goal is to fly more than the entire club combined. Big ambition, but with our local soaring weather, and the fantastic stuff that always seems to be 20 miles away from us: I think the self launch is going to enable me to enjoy this more often.

I don't get to pass up a marginal soaring day because "it isn't worth it" - If I can go flying, I want to be able to go where the soarable weather is, and then glide home if possible. Otherwise: back to FL390 and 500kts..... booooorrrring! "oh great.... another passenger not wearing a mask...." lol

If anyone comes to the TCSC event in a 2 seater, or wants to go with me in the DG505 then I'm all about it. I got a 2 seater to share the experience. And maybe sometimes that can be in reverse.

Speaking of which: Bob I don't care - I want you to go up with me buddy.. Humor me and come for a ride in my adultized and fat DG! Haha!

JL

JL, sorry my friend but I do NOT fly motorgliders, this is my take on motorgliders! If there was a book written about glider pilots and motorgliders it would be called, "Motorgliders For Sissies", now don't take that too personal, but they just are not and should not be in the same class as the purist. Now I can hear all the motorglider guys and gals cursing me about my comments and thoughts on this somewhat inferior class of glider flight.
Have I ever been in a situation where I could have used a sustainer, YES, but they were not around back in those days. I still remember the warden of a state prison looking at me as if I were one of the inmates when I sat my glider down on the prison grounds while trying to complete my first 300 K triangle over 40 years ago. I recently was told by a good guy and fellow glider pilot that one of these days I would have a motorglider. I laughed and told him that if he ever saw me in my motorglider that I would give it to him, I hope that I don't have to eat those words someday, but if I do I will be the first one to write an apology and explain why I went to the dark side.
Your enthusiasm is addictive, you will certainly enjoy your new motorglider and soon you will be departing X52 on a nice triangle or journey around Lake O.

I am very pleased to have made an impact on the motorglider professionals at Seminole Lake Motor Glider event for the Geritol pilots. My good friend Nico just complete two days in a row of 300 k triangles with pretty much even legs to set the pace for the upcoming Seniors contest held at the Motor Glider Club in Clermont . Nico, way to go, unlike last year I did not fly on this March 11th. I have a little surprise for all you motor glider geeks at the Seniors, you and the rest of those big bogs will be once again shaking their heads saying, " Where The Hell Did He Come From"! I might even ask Eileen if I can borrow her 24 and give her my 27, just to give you guys a better advantage.
As you probably know tomorrow will begin the Soaring Safari here at the Treasure Coast Soaring Club, here in Vero Beach. I am the primary tow pilot and refreshment provider,, I just loaded up at ABC liquors for our traditional purist drink of rum and coke. We are even having gourmet hot dogs for all, so you self launch ladies can come on in have a dog and motor out to your hovel in Clermont.
I wish all of you guys well, just keep looking at those daily scores and at some point you will say, we woke him up! Have a great contest, look up on any given day and you might just see yours truly, and I will buy the drinks.. Bob