Old June 23rd 04, 05:14 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:li7Cc.162603$Ly.150177@attbi_s01...
[...]
How's it possible that this light is legal?

Why would it not be? Your subject implies there's an STC, which clearly
makes it legal, but even if we're just a victim of a misleading subject, it
could have been installed as a one-time 337 approval.

For that matter, what are the "external load" rules? I don't know them off
the top of my head, but maybe these lights simply qualify as an external
load.

I'd be curious as to how effective they are. The light looks like a normal
fog/driving light that you normally find under the bumper of an automobile.
Those are nice to have in a car, but the ones I've used don't provide enough
beam to be useful at landing speeds. Maybe for taxiing around though.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is, you were at the fly-in yourself, you
took the picture of the landing lights (it seems), but you didn't ask the
owner of the airplane directly? Isn't that the whole point of a fly-in, to
meet the other pilots and learn about each other's airplanes and
experiences? Even if the owner weren't around, you could have left a note.
I have been left notes on my own airplane, and am perfectly happy to phone
someone who wants to ask about it.

Pete