Old November 13th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

Default flying to Burning Man

Ben Hallert wrote:
Ah, I found the info:

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_pla...t/faq_air.html

From same:

Q. Is it safe to land my Beechna Pipermman Super-Duper-High-Flyer on
the playa?

A. The playa surface is suitable for anything from a tiny-wheeled
Vari-eze to tail-draggers with tundra tires to brand new turbo-charged
Mooneys to C-130s. This is the surface on which a car went faster than
the speed of sound. The space shuttle could land here.

That seems just a tad optimistic and misleading, IMO.

I've never ventured into that particular area but I know alkalai desert
flats can look quite solid and actually be a crusted over bog that will
swallow a small car up to its axles in very rapid fashion. The Black
Rock Desert would not be an area where I would assume I may land
anywhere without hesitation.

A 7000' landing strip appears to be at 40.73515, -119.2355
-----

- gpsman