Old June 4th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Trouble filing IFR to Canadian Airports

On Jun 1, 8:52*pm, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I've made this flight many times before and never encountered this
before. I filed from my home airport (MGY) to PT(which is an NDB) to
CYKZ using DUATS. Everything went fine. When I called for my
clearance, they didn't have anything on me. So I departed VFR, and
tried calling again. Still no luck. They tried manually entering my
flight, but then said they had trouble entering my Canadian waypoint
and destination so I better call Flight Service. I filed with FSS and
called ATC again, but still ATC had nothing for me. I called FSS
again. Now he says his computer would not take CYKZ or PT, and the
only way he could do this is if I provided the lat/lon for these
places. After shuffling through a lot of mess, I found the co-
ordinates for CYKZ and read the numbers. I said forget the enroute
waypoint; I'll go direct. After nearly one hour after departure I
finally got my clearance. It was good time too because we were in IMC
not too long after that.

I was totally puzzled by this. Since when did Canadian airports and
navaids disappear from US computers?

I've done this by filing an international flight plan. Is that what
you are doing or are you trying to file an FAA IFR plan? The
international is the long form that asks about ADF, VORs, etc
installations.

-Robert